Meet Richard M. Basile, MD, FACS – A trusted, leading vein expert with decades of experience
Dr. Richard M. Basile stands apart from other area vein specialists. He is the only physician in the Berkshires certified as a vein specialist and as a registered vascular sonographer including registered physician in vascular ultrasound interpretation. This means he can provide an accurate diagnosis of your problem immediately, and then treat it.
Residency: General Surgery at Berkshire Medical Center in Pittsfield, Massachusetts and the University of Massachusetts Medical Center
MD: State University of New York at Buffalo
BS: Tufts University in Boston, graduating cum laude
- Fellow of American College of Surgeons (FACS)
- New England Society for Vascular Surgery
- New England Surgical Society
- Diplomate of the American Vein and Lymphatic Society (AVLS)
- Society for Vascular Ultrasound
- American Board of Surgery
- American Board of Venous and Lymphatic Medicine (ABVLM)
- Registered Vascular Sonographer (RVS)
- Registered Physician in Vascular Ultrasound Interpretation (RPVI)
- Registered Phlebology Sonographer (RPhS)
- American Professional Wound Care Association (FAWPCA)
- Wound specialist (CWS) through the AAWM
Other Experience: Dr. Basile enjoyed a busy practice in general and vascular surgery for 23 years at Berkshire Medical Center (BMC), before moving to a practice focused on wound care and phlebology in 2006. He was instrumental in establishing the Berkshire Vein Center in 2007 and created Advanced Vein Care of the Berkshires, now Basile Vein Specialists, in 2010 to take vein care in the region to the next level.
Dr. Basile is also on staff at BMC and is an Assistant Professor of Surgery, University of Massachusetts Medical School at BMC. Dr. Basile is the medical director for the BMC Center for Wound Care and Hyperbaric Medicine. He was crucial to the establishment and success of the wound care service, which has received national recognition for its achievements and quality of care. Dr. Basile also developed and achieved certification for the Noninvasive Vascular Laboratory at BMC in 1985, and remained its medical director until 2011. Dr. Basile has twice sat for board recertification exams in Surgery and both times achieved scores in the 98th percentile of all surgeons in the United States.